In India, the Goods and Services Tax (GST) was implemented on July 1st, 2017. To file GST returns, taxpayers need to use GSTR forms that adhere to specific slabs and eligibility criteria. The taxpayer’s income details must also be included when filing with the tax authorities.
To ensure compliance with GST regulations, sales and purchase invoices must be GST-compliant. These documents are used by the tax authorities to calculate tax liabilities. To be registered for GST, a dealer must file returns that encompass their purchases, sales, output GST (on sales), and input tax credit (on purchases).
To Read Our Detailed Blog On GST Click Here
What is GST return?
A GST return is a document that a taxpayer in India is required to file with the tax authorities to report their business transactions and calculate their tax liability under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) system. The GST return includes details of the taxpayer’s purchases, sales, output GST (on sales), and input tax credit (on purchases).
Gst Returns Are Filed By Whom?
The GST return needs to be filed by a registered dealer or taxpayer, who is assigned a unique GSTIN (Goods and Services Tax Identification Number). The GST return filing process in India is completely online, and taxpayers must use GSTR forms that correspond to specific slabs and eligibility criteria.
Filing a GST return is mandatory for all taxpayers who are registered for GST, and non-compliance can result in penalties and legal action. The frequency of GST return filing depends on the taxpayer’s turnover, with monthly, quarterly, and annual filing options available.
How To File GST Return Online:
- Visit the GST portal (www.gst.gov.in) and log in with your username and password.
- Select the “Returns Dashboard” option from the main menu.
- Select the Financial year, quarter, and period of the return to be filed.
- Select the type of return you want to file from the list of available returns along with the option “Prepare Online”.
- Enter the details in the relevant tables.
- After filing all the relevant details in the relevant table click on the “Generate summary” option.
- Click on the Refresh button.
- After clicking on the refresh button click on the “view summary” option.
- Then click on the “File statement” option.
- Thereafter, select the name of the proprietor in the dropdown option.
- Select the option EVC/DSC option.
- Thereafter, validate DSC(Digital Signature).
- Finally, file the return by clicking the “File Return” button.
What are the different types of GST returns?
There are various types of GST returns that taxpayers need to file, such as GSTR-1, GSTR-2A, GSTR-3B, GSTR-4, GSTR-5, GSTR-6, GSTR-7, GSTR-8, GSTR-9, GSTR-9A, and GSTR-9C. The frequency of GST return filing depends on the turnover of the taxpayer.
Who is eligible to file GST returns?
Any registered dealer or taxpayer who is assigned a unique GSTIN is required to file GST returns. The frequency of filing returns depends on the taxpayer’s turnover.
What happens if a taxpayer fails to file GST returns?
Non-compliance with GST regulations can result in penalties and legal action. Therefore, it is essential to file GST returns within the stipulated time frame.
Is it mandatory to file GST returns electronically?
Yes, filing GST returns electronically is mandatory in India. The GST return filing process is entirely online, and taxpayers must use GSTR forms that correspond to specific slabs and eligibility criteria.
What is an invoice reference number (IRN)?
An invoice reference number (IRN) is a unique number assigned to each invoice uploaded on the GST portal or software. It serves as a reference for tracking the invoice and calculating tax liabilities.
Are you Looking for GST Refund Service? Mygstrefund.com offers GST refunds on business, exports, and many more if your GST application is rejected. Get in touch with us today.